Family members have the right to file wrongful death lawsuits in order to hold a negligent person accountable for a loved one’s passing. Under Florida law, spouses, children, parents, and other relatives who are financially dependent are able to bring a claim and recover damages in the form of monetary compensation.
In the event that your wrongful death claim is litigated and goes to trial, you will require a South Florida personal injury trial lawyer. Fighting for your loved one’s justice may seem scary, but it is incredibly important. The following is what you can anticipate if you decide to pursue your case.
- After speaking with a South Florida personal injury trial lawyer, you can begin the process of describing the accident in detail and, if required, adding witnesses to your case.
- Your attorney will look into the claim, interviewing potential witnesses and looking over crucial papers including medical records and autopsy reports.
- Your lawyer will assist you in submitting the claim, which will serve as notice of the lawsuit to the defendant.
- The next step is discovery if your case proceeds to trial. Both sides gather information during this phase in order to present the court with proof supporting their positions. The defendant may be required to divulge information to you, and you may be required to divulge information to the defendant. Some information might be hidden from prying eyes.
- The trial will begin after the end of discovery. The length of your trial will depend on the details of your case and whether a judge and jury are present. In addition to presenting information, both sides will cross-examine witnesses.
- The case will ultimately be decided by the judge or jury. If necessary, you may appeal.
These are the fundamental steps in wrongful death cases. However, during the course of your trial, other factors may emerge.
If you are suffering the loss of someone you care about due to someone else’s negligence in Florida, request a consultation as soon as possible. Hevia Law Firm has built an experienced South Florida personal injury law firm to help you seek justice.